Here's a lovely light salad to celebrate Spring, using button mushrooms and fresh prawns. Do you know that mushrooms are a marvellous source of Vitamin D? A Sydney University study has shown that mushrooms left in direct midday sunlight can provide 100 per cent of the recommended daily intake of vitamin D.
- light soy sauce - 1/4 cup
- garlic - 2 cloves, crushed
- Chinese five-spice powder - 1 teaspoon
- brown sugar - 1 tablespoon
- sweet chilli sauce - 2 tablespoons
- extra light olive oil or grape seed oil - 2 tablespoons
- button mushrooms - 400g, halved
- medium cooked prawns - 24, peeled (tails intact), deveined
- Asian green salad leaves - 100g packet
- red capsicum - 1, cut into thin strips
- bean sprouts - 1 cup, trimmed
- carrots - 2, peeled, cut into thin matchsticks
- coriander leaves - 1/2 cup
- mint leaves - 1/2 cup
- prawn crackers - to serve
Combine the soy sauce, garlic, five spice, sugar, sweet chilli sauce and oil in a screw-top jar. Shake until well combined.
Place the mushrooms in a large ceramic bowl. Pour over three-quarters of the dressing. Stir gently to coat. Cover and stand for 30 minutes to marinate.
Add the prawns, salad greens, capsicum, bean sprouts, carrot, coriander and mint to the marinated mushrooms. Toss gently to combine. Spoon over the remaining dressing. Serve with prawn crackers.