Make this 2 - 3 days ahead and serve with crackers or Melba toast with champagne or Prosecco to kick off your Christmas.
- Prep Time : 30 minutes
- Cook Time : 20 minutes
- Yield : 6 - 8
- chicken livers - 750g
- bacon - 4 rashers, rind removed and diced
- softened butter - 125g
- garlic - 2 cloves,finely chopped
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper -
- ground allspice - 1/2 teaspoon
- ground ginger - 1/2 teaspoon
- brandy - 2 - 3 tablespoons
- dry sherry - 1 tablespoon
- ghee (clarified butter) - 60g, melted
- whole peppercorns - black or pink
- Crackers, crispbreads or Melba toast - to serve
Clean livers thoroughly, removing any sinew and greenish parts.
Lightly cook the bacon in 1 - 2 tablespoons butter. Add the onion and garlic, cook on low heat until transparent but not brown. Transfer to the bowl of a food processor.
Turn heat up to medium, add another knob of butter and add the cleaned livers. Cook until brown all over but soft and pink in the middle - do this in two batches.
Return all the livers to the pan. Heat the brandy in a small sauceapn, set it alight and then pour over the livers, tilting pan to spread the flames.
Transfer the livers to the food processor bowl, pour in the sherry and add remaining softened butter. Blend until smooth. Season to taste.
Spoon the pate into small pots. The top of the pate will darken on contact with the air. To prevent this from occurring, pour a thin layer of ghee over the top and sprinkle over a few whole peppercorns. Refrigerate until set. Serve with crackers, crisp bread or Melba toast.