Here's a moist easy-to-make cake which my sister Justy often whips up for guests at Bend of the River. The beauty of it is that you can substitute apples, pears, pineapple or other fruits for the rhubarb and it will still be a winner.
- Prep Time : 20 minutes
- Cook Time : 55-60 minutes
- Yield : 8
- pouring cream - 1 cup
- sugar - 3/4 cup
- vanilla - 1 teaspoon
- orange - 1, zest only
- farm or organic egg - 1 large, beaten
- self-raising flour - 1 1/2 cups
- cinnamon - 1 1/2 - 2 teaspoons
- salt - 1/4 teaspoon
- bi-carbonate of soda - 1/4 teaspoon
- raw rhubarb - 2 1/2 cups, cut into 1cm pieces
- raw sugar - 1/2 cup mixed with 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Preheat oven to 180degC (160degC fan-forced). Line base and sides of a 21-22cm springform pan with baking paper.
Whisk together the cream, sugar, vanilla and orange zest. Add the egg and combine well. Beat in the sifted dry ingredients. Add the rhubarb and mix well to combine. Sprinkle top with cinnamon sugar.
Spoon into prepared tin and bake 50 - 60 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Leave in tin 10 minutes before removing from tin. Good warm or at room temperature with whipped cream.