- olive oil - 100ml
- onion - 1, peeled and finely diced
- fresh nutmeg - 1 teaspoon, grated
- dried mint - 1 teaspoon
- white zucchini - 4, (about 350g), coarsely grated
- eggs - 6, free range or organic
- self-raising flour - 2 tablespoons
- lemon - 1, finely grated zest
- sea salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- freshly ground black pepper - 1/2 teaspoon
- provolone - 200g, or any other melting cheese, gratedherbs
- herbs and edible flowers - to garnish (optional)
- thick natural yoghurt - to serve (optional)
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Heat half the oil in a frying pan over a low heat and fry the onion until it softens. Stir in the nutmeg and mint and fry for another minute. Remove from the heat and leave to cool. Pour the remaining oil into a non-stick ovenproof frying pan and heat in the oven for 5-10 minutes.
Squeeze the grated zucchini firmly to remove as much moisture as possible. Whick the eggs until frothy. Whisk in the flour, lemon zest, salt and pepper, followed by the zucchini and the cheese. The mixture will be quite sloppy.
Pour the mixture into the hot oil. Cover the pan with a lid or foil and bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until nearly set. Remove the lid and cook for a further 15 minutes to brown the surface.
Cut into wedges and serve hot form the pan with a sprinkling of herbs and thick yoghurt. Alternatively, drain on paper towels and cut into wedges when cold to serve with pickles or relish.