This delicious recipe is from my new eBook, Mini Chef: Cooking with Kids, available now on amazon.com and iBooks. If you’ve got a keen junior chef at home or want to give your kids a kick-start in the kitchen, this book is great way to get them started.
- Prep Time : 15-20 minutes
- Cook Time : 7 - 8 minutes
- Yield : 2 - 3
- rump steak - 250g, trimmed of fat and sliced thinly across the grain
- soy sauce - 1 tablespoon
- cornflour - 1 teaspoon
- caster sugar - 1 teaspoon
- vegetable oil - 2 tablespoons
- onion - 1, peeled, halved and cut into wedges (so that it looks like petals)
- garlic - 2 cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- freshly grated ginger - 2 teaspoons
- carrot - 1, peeled and sliced
- red or green capsicum - 1/2, chopped, seeds and membrane removed
- baby bok choy - 1, washed and chopped and/or 2 zucchini, sliced
- soy sauce - 1 - 2 tablespoons, or oyster sauce
- water or beef stock - 1/4 cup
Place the meat in a bowl with the soy sauce, conflour and sugar. Mix to combine and set aside for half an hour to an hour. This step gives the meat flavour and helps to tenderise it.
Heat a wok. Add 1 tablespoon oil and stir-fry the onions for a minute, then add the ginger and garlic. Stir-fry 30 seconds, then add the carrot and capsicum. Keep tossing and stirring. Remove the vegetables to a plate and keep warm.
Add 1 tablespoon oil to the wok. When hot, stir-fry the meat in 2 -3 batches until browned on all sides, adding more oil if needed (it's very important you don't let the meat stew). Remove each batch to the plate. Return all the vegatables and meat to the pan. Add the greens (whichever you have chosen). Stir and toss to combine.
Add soy sauce (or oyster sauce) and stock. Put on the lid, turn down heat and leave to simmer for 1-2 minutes or until greens are just cooked. Taste before serving and serve with brown rice or hokkien noodles.