We had an excess of chillies in the local community vegetable garden recently and Sylvia, one of the volunteers, sent me this fabulous recipe from Jude Blereau's Wholefood Cooking (I took the liberty of halving the amount of jam). Great with cold meats or platters of cheese and crackers, BBQ meats and sausages, or a little stirred through marinades and winter soups for a bit of a kick.
- Prep Time : 20 minutes
- Cook Time : 1h 15 min
- Yield : 400ml
- organic chillies - 125g, stems removed and washed
- organic garlic - 4 cloves, peeled
- organic fresh ginger - 30g, peeled and chopped
- organic sultanas (golden raisins) - 185g
- organic apple cider vinegar - 1 cup (250ml)
- rapadura sugar (or raw sugar) - 250g
- salt - 3/4 teaspoon
- ground turmeric - 1/2 teaspoon
- water - 1 cup 250ml)
Put all the ingredients into the bowl of a food processor or Thermomix. Process until chillies and sultanas are very finely chopped.
Transfer to a medium saucepan and cook over low heat for 1 - 1.5 hours until most of the liquid has evaporated and is the consistency of soft jam - it will thicken up and become more sticky as it cools.
Spoon into sterile jars and store in the refrigerator. Makes about 400ml.