Welcome in the softer days of autumn with this lovely melange of soba noodles, mushrooms, sweet potato crisps and asparagus. Use a mixture of mushrooms such as Swiss browns, field mushrooms, button mushrooms and maybe include some enoki.
This recipe is from my Food Year book (Simon & Schuster).
Learn more about the many health benefits of mushrooms here.
- Prep Time : 15 minutes
- Cook Time : 15 minutes
- Yield : 4
- mixed mushrooms - 400g, sliced horizontally
- olive oil - for frying
- garlic - 2 - 3 cloves, finely sliced
- Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- kumara - 150g, peeled
- fresh soba noodles - 2 x 180g packets
- asparagus spears - 12, woody ends trimmed, and sliced into 5cm pieces
- extra virgin olive oil - 100ml
- balsamic vinegar - 25ml
- lime - 1, juice and zest
- soy sauce - 15ml
- garlic - 2 cloves, crushed
- sweet chilli sauce - 30ml (adjust according to taste)
In a large frying pan, heat 2-3 tablespoons olive oil, add the garlic then the mushrooms (be careful not to allow the garlic to brown). Season with salt and pepper, cover and leave over medium-low heat until cooked, stirring occasionally.
Using a potato peeler, slice long strips off the sweet potato and fry in hot oil (about 2 tablespoons) in batches until crisp. Drain on absorbent paper towels.
Bring a medium saucepan of water to the boil, put in the soba noodles and simmer for 2 minutes. Drain the noodles. Repeat for the asparagus spears.
Mix the Dressing ingredients together. Toss half of the dressing through the noodles, then add the mushrooms, asparagus and sweet potato crisps. Spoon remaining dressing over top and serve. Good warm or at room temperature.