- polenta, coarse yellow - 150g (5oz)
- plain flour - 30g (1oz)
- baking powder - 1 teaspoon
- bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) - 1/2 teaspoon
- sharp cheddar cheese - 60g (2oz), grated
- parmesan cheese - 30g (1oz), grated
- butter - 185g (6oz)
- leeks - 2, (or 1 large onion, chopped)
- garlic - 2 cloves, crushed
- button mushrooms - 200g (6.5oz), sliced
- parlsey - 1 small bunch, chopped
- basil - 1/2 bunch, chopped
- chives - 1/2 bunch, snipped
- red chilli - 1 small, finely chopped
- red capsicum - 1, chopped and seeded
- egg - 1, lightly beaten
- buttermilk - 250ml, mixed with 125ml water
This delicious dish is from my latest book, The Cook's Garden. It makes a fabulous luncheon or supper dish.
Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F/Gas 6).
Combine dry ingredients with cheese in a bowl. In a frying pan, melt 90 g (3 oz) butter and fry leeks or onion until translucent. Add mushrooms and cook until softened. Add chopped herbs, cook 1 minute, set aside.
Process chilli, capsicum, egg and buttermilk in a food processor until fairly smooth. Add to dry ingredients with vegetables and combine well.
Melt remaining butter in a heavy 23-cm (9-in) non-stick ovenproof frying pan or flameproof dish.
Pour half into polenta mixture and mix well. Heat remaining butter until foaming, spoon polenta
mixture into pan and cook over low heat until mixture bubbles. Place in oven and bake for 35–45
minutes, until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Rest in pan for 2 minutes, then turn out
on a serving plate. Serves 6 - 8.