Here's a lovely moist apple cake, perfect with a cuppa for afternoon (or morning) tea, or with some lightly whipped cream for dessert.
- Prep Time : 20 minutes
- Cook Time : 40 minutes
- Yield : 8
- free range or organic eggs - 2
- brown sugar - 1 cup, lightly packed
- vegetable oil - 1/2 cup
- plain flour - 1 cup
- fine semolina - 1/4 cup
- baking powder - 2 teaspoons
- Granny Smith apples - 2 large, peeled and grated
- lemons - 2, grated zest
- walnuts - 70g, roughly chopped
- Granny Smith apple - 1 large, peeled, quartered and seeds removed
- cinnamon sugar - for dusting
- few dots of butter - optional
Preheat oven to 170degC (150degC fan-forced). Grease and line sides of 22cm springform cake tin.
Cream together the eggs and sugar until light. Beat in the oil.
Sift together the flour, semolina and baking powder and beat
into the egg mixture.
Fold in 2 cups (400g) of the grated apple, the lemon zest and walnuts. Spoon mixture into the tin.
For the topping: slice the quartered pieces of apple thinly and arrange in decorative pattern starting from outer rim and working in to centre. Dust with cinnamon sugar and dot with butter.
Bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.