Milky soft white buffalo mozzarella is heavenly added to pasta and salad dishes. At Eataly, the fabulous Italian food and wine emporium in the Flatiron district of New York, you'll find it featured in a variety of ways. Here I've teamed it with roasted eggplant, capscium and pesto, a delicious dish which you can serve for lunch or supper.
- medium glossy black eggplants - 2 -3, washed and dried
- extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- capsicums - 2, one red, one yellow, roasted, skinned and cut into quarters
- basil pesto - 1/2 cup
- buffalo mozzarella - 2, torn into quarters
- Basil pesto
- fresh basil leaves - 1 1/2 cups, lightly packed
- pine nut - 1/2 cup
- garlic - 2 - 3 cloves, peeled and crushed
- parmesan cheese - 3/4 cup, freshly grated
- extra virgin olive oil - 100ml
- sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
Preheat oven to 200degC. Roast the eggplants in the oven for ten minutes.
Leave to cool, then slice lengthways into 1cm thick slices. Brush each eggplant slice with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Char-grill or partly pan-fry until cooked through. Allow to cool.
Smear the eggplant slices on one side with basil pesto. Place a piece of roasted capsicum along the length of each eggplant slice, top with a piece of buffalo mozzarella, season, and roll up the slices. Secure each roll with a toothpick. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil just before serving. Best served at room temperature.
For the Basil Pesto: place all the ingredients except the oil in a blender or food processor. Process until smooth. Slowly add the olive oil through the feed tube. Taste and add a little salt if needed.