This tasty tangy recipe was given to me years ago by Kaye Johnson, a friend renowned for her elegant entertaining. I like to marinate the chicken for a few hours or overnight which allows the marinade to really soak in and make it even more flavoursome.
- Prep Time : 30-40 minutes
- Cook Time : 20 minutes
- Yield : 6
- chicken thighs - 1Kg, cut in 4cm pieces, fat and sinew removed
- cooking oil spray
- fresh mint leaves - 1/2 cup, finely chopped
- fresh coriander leaves - 1/4 cup
- green onions (shallots) - 6, finely sliced
- Thai fish sauce - 1 tablespoon
- limes - 3 large, juice of
- shaved palm sugar or brown sugar - 1 teaspoon
- red chillies - 2 large, finely chopped (with seeds)
- To serve:
- baby spinach leaves - 3 - 4 cups (150g-200g), washed and dried
- avocados - 2, peeled and sliced
- freshly cracked black pepper
Spray wok with oil and heat. Fry the chicken pieces in batches until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from pan to a ceramic dish and let cool.
Combine the marinade ingredients and stir well. Taste it - it should be hot, sour and salty. Pour the marinade over the chicken and leave to marinate for a few hours in the fridge, covered with plastic wrap. Just before serving, place the chicken on a bed of baby spinach and sliced avocados. Grind over lots of black pepper.
Tip:You can add a small packet of glass noodles in which case double the marinade ingredients because they absorb a lot of the liquid - they will need to be soaked in hot water for 15-20 minutes, drained well and cut with scissors.