Here's a terrific afternoon tea cake stained in the middle with fresh raspberries, brown sugar, cinnamon and flaked almonds. The recipe was first published in my Seasonal Entertaining (Harper Collins) cookbook.
- Prep Time : 20 minutes
- Cook Time : 50-60 minutes
- Yield : 10-12
- softened unsalted butter - 250g
- sugar - 200g
- lemon zest - 1 teaspoon, finely grated
- organic or free range eggs - 3, at room temperature
- plain (all-purpose) flour - 2 cups
- self-raising flour - 1 cup
- bi-carbonate of soda - 1.5 teaspoons
- sour cream - 1.5 cups (375ml)
- Raspberry Filling
- fresh raspberries - 300g
- soft brown sugar - 1/3 cup (60g)
- flaked almonds - 1 cup (100g)
- cinnamon - 2 teaspoons
- icing sugar - for dusting
Preheat oven to moderate (180C/fan-forced160C). Grease a 26cm bundt tin (round tin with deep sides and a hollow centre tube).
Cream together butter, sugar and lemon zest until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, then fold in the sifted dry ingredients alternately with the sour cream.
Spoon half the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth out evenly. Strew the Raspberry Filling over the cake mixture, then spoon over remaining cake mixture. Smooth the top.
Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Leave in tin for 10-15 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Dust with icing sugar when cool. Excellent with whipped cream and a few extra raspberries.
Raspberry Filling: combine the raspberries, brown sugar, flaked almonds and cinnamon in a bowl and toss lightly together.