Looking for some sugar-free inspiration for Easter this year? These Hot X Buns are made with Lokanto Monkfruit Classic Sweetener, an artificial sweetener which you'll find on supermarket shelves.
- Prep Time : 2-3 hours (allowing time for dough to rise) minutes
- Cook Time : 20 minutes
- Yield : 12
- dry yeast - 1 tablespoon
- Lokanto Monkfruit Classic Sweetener - 1/2 cup (125ml)
- warm milk - 1 1/2 cups
- bread flour - 4 1/4 cups
- ground cinnamon - 2 teaspoons
- allspice - 2 teaspoons
- sultanas - 1 1/2 cups
- oranges - 1 -2 teaspoons zest
- unsalted butter - 3 1/2 tablespoons, melted and cooled
- free range or organic egg - 1, at room temperature
- For the crosses (X):
- plain white flour - 1/2 cup (125ml)
- 5 tablespoons - mixed with flour to form a paste
- For the Glaze:
- Lokanto Monkfruit Sweetener - 1 tablespoon
- water - 2 teaspoons
- arrowroot - 1/2 teaspoon, mixed together to brush over the buns
Place the yeast and 2 teaspoons of the sweetener in a large bowl, then pour in the milk. Leave for 5 minutes until it froths.
Add remaining Bun ingredients, starting with the flour and remaining sugar.
Use a mixer fitted with a dough hook to mix to a smooth elastic dough. Add extra flour if required. Alternatively, dust a work surface with flour and knead by hand for 10 minutes or until smooth.
Cover the dough with plastic wrap and a damp tea towel and allow to rise until doubled in volume. Turn out onto floured bench top and knock the mixture back - this will take 1 1/2 - 2 hours, sometimes longer, depending on room temperature.
Roll into even ball sizes (approx. 4cm), push down to 2 cm flat place on a greased baking tray. Place the balls approx. 2 cm apart.
Next, pipe the Cross mixture (made by mixing the flour and water together) over the top and allow the mixture to rise about 70% in volume, approx. 30 minutes at room temperature.
Preheat the oven to 180c and bake the buns for 20 minutes until golden brown, then brush with the glaze mixture, made by mixing together the Lokanto Monkfruit Sweetener, water and arrowroot, or simply dust with a cinnamon sweetener mixture. Serve warm or keep in the fridge for up to 7 days.
Disclaimer: this recipe is courtesy of Lokanto Monkfruit Classic Sweetener