Here's an easy, delicious snack for the kids to make, a good one to give them a kick-start in the kitchen and get them in the Christmas spirit. Spread the toast with smashed soft ripe avocado for an extra luxurious addition.
- Prep Time : 25-30 minutes
- Cook Time : 5 minutes
- Yield : 6 -8
- sourdough baguette or French bread stick - 12- 18 slices, cut on the diagonal
- garlic clove - 1, cut in half , skin on
- ripe red tomatoes - 3, washed
- red Spanish onion - 1 small, peeled (optional)
- Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil - 3 - 4 tablespoons
- balsamic vinegar - 1 - 2 teaspoons (optional)
- fresh basil leaves - 23 - 4 tablespoons, washed, dried and torn
Allow 2 per person
Toast the bread until just golden on both sides. When cool, rub each slice with the halved garlic. Set aside.
Dice the tomatoes and put them into a bowl. Finely dice the onion and add to the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir through the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and basil and mix gently to combine. Taste and add more seasoning, oil or basil if required. Cover and leave to macerate in the fridge until 10 – 15 minutes before serving.
Using a teaspoon, top each bruschetta with some of the ‘salata’. This is best served within an hour of topping – if left longer, the toast will become soggy.
Tip: There are plenty of different toppings you can make: basil pesto topped with roasted red capsicum strips; caramelised onion topped with crispy prosciutto; cream cheese topped with smoked salmon, capers, dill and red onion; mascarpone mixed with blue cheese and topped with a walnut.
A little crumbled fetta sprinkled over the top is a delicious addition, as are sliced black olives.