This is a delicious vegetable soup from Lesbos, given to me by my friend Evi of C’Aphrodite restaurant in Cremorne. It’s easy to make -and great for children who won’t eat their vegies, (though you will probably need to omit the chilli). Make sure to cut all the vegetables the same size so they cook evenly.
- leek - 1, white part only, sliced and washed
- brown onion - 1, peeled and chopped
- potatoes - 2, medium, peeled and chopped
- butternut pumpkin - 1/4 peeled and chopped
- zucchini - 1, washed and chopped
- celery stalk - 1, washed and chopped
- carrots - 2, small, peeled and chopped
- garlic - 1, peeled and finely chopped
- red chilli - 1 small, chopped
- chicken stock - to cover
- butter - a knob, about 20g
Place all the prepared vegetables into a medium-large saucepan. Cover with chicken stock, bring to the boil. Turn down heat, cover and simmer gently until vegetables are soft. Season with salt and pepper and add the butter, simmer for another minute.
Remove pan from heat. Puree the vegetables in a blender or food processor in batches. Serve piping hot.