Here's a way to use up some of the abundant unripe green tomatoes which flourish in veggie gardens at this time of the year. Terrific with barbecued or char-grilled kangaroo fillet, lamb backstops, or skewered beef or chicken.
- Prep Time : 15 minutes
- Yield : 4
- medium small green tomatoes - 300g, quartered, calyx removed
- red onion - 1 small, peeled, quartered and finely sliced
- lebanese cucumber - 1 small, sliced in half lengthways, seeds removed and diced
- jalapeno chilli - 1 medium, seeds and membranes removed and diced
- flat leaf parsley - 1/2 cup, finely chopped
- fresh mint leaves - 1/2 cup, finely chopped
- fresh lime juice - 1 -2 tablespoons
- extra virgin olive oil - 2 -3 tablespoons
- sea salt and freshly cracked pepper - to taste
Combine the green tomatoes, red onion, jalapeño chilli and fresh herbs in a serving bowl. Toss well to combine. Stir through the lime juice and olive oil, tasting as you go - just how much will depend on the flavour of the green tomatoes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Tip: a few fresh coriander leaves, scattered over the top, will add an extra dimension of flavour