This is a delicious vegetable soup from Lesbos, given to me by Evi Mitchell of C'Aphrodite restaurant in Cremorne. It's a good one for cold winter nights and is easy to make: if you get the kids to help, you'll be surprised by how much they enjoy it (though you may need to omit the chilli). Make sure to cut all the vegetables the same size so they cook evenly.
- leek - 1, halved lengthways, washed and chopped
- onion - 1 medium, peeled and chopped
- potatoes - 2 medium, peeled and chopped
- butternut pumpkin - 1/4, peeled and chopped
- zucchini - 1, washed and sliced
- celery - 1 stalk, peeled and chopped
- carrots - 2 small, peeled and chopped
- garlic - 1 cloves, finely chopped
- red chilli - 1 small, chopped (optional)
- chicken stock - to cover
- salt and freshly cracked pepper
- butter - a knob (15g - 20g)
Serves 4 - 6
Put all the prepared vegetables into a medium pan. Cover with chicken stock, bring to the boil. Turn down heat and simmer gently, covered, until vegetables are soft. Season with salt and pepper and add the butter, cook another minute. Remove from heat. Puree the vegetables in a blender or food processor and serve piping hot.