This simple, lovely rice salad recipe was given to me by Louise Miller, a talented young freelance chef based on the Gold Coast who specialises in healthy natural organic dishes.
"I like to use the absorption method for cooking my rice," she says. "It needs about 45 minutes until the grain begins to open and I don't rinse it after it's cooked as that slight stickiness is what makes it."
The intense earthy flavour comes from fresh turmeric (not the dried ground version) and is given a zing by the addition of lemon and orange zest. Soak the cranberries in apple juice while the rice cooks. Excellent with a juicy roast chicken, BBQ meats - or on its own.
- Prep Time : 15-20 minutes
- Cook Time : 45 minutes
- Yield : 4
- organic brown rice - 2 cups, well-cooked
- extra virgin olive oil - 2 tablespoons
- lemon juice - 2 tablespoons
- honey - 1 teaspoon
- organic orange zest - 1 teaspoon
- organic lemon zest - 1 teapots
- organic turmeric - 1 teaspoon, peeled and grated
- fresh parsley - 1 cup, finely chopped
- fresh mint - 1/2 cup, finely chopped
- red capsicum - 1/2 cup, diced
- organic dried cranberries - 1/4 cup, sweetened with apple juice
- Celtic salt and pepper - to taste
- For the top:
- activated pecans or walnuts or pepitas
Combine the first seven ingredients while the rice is still warm. Then add the rest of the ingredients once the rice is cool. Let sit for at least one hour to let the flavors develop. Serve in a beautiful ceramic bowl or platter of your choice. Sprinkle with activated walnuts, pecans or pepitas.
Tip: also delicious the next day.