Made with fresh greens and herbs from Mavis' organic kitchen garden, and Tweed Valley cheeses from a nearby farm, this tasty pie is just the thing for lunch on the verandah, watched over by Mt Warning.
- filo pastry - 1 packet
- melted butter - for brushing, plus 100g extra
- fetta - 800g, crumbled
- ricotta - 800g
- organic chard or spinach - 800g, washed and finely shredded
- cream - 200ml
- salt and freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- preserved lemon - 2 tablespoons, shredded (or 1 tablespoon lemon zest)
- eggs - 4, lightly beaten
- fresh mint - 2 tablespoons, finely shredded
- fresh dill - 3 tablespoons, chopped
- flat leaf parsley - 1 tablespoons, chopped
Preheat oven to moderate (180degC/160deg fan-forced). Lightly butter a 30cm square x 4cm deep tray. Layer with 6 – 8 sheets of filo, brushing lightly with butter (Mavis' chef prefers to butter every second or third sheet, not every sheet).
Place chard or spinach in a pan with 100g butter, cover with a lid and sweat until softened. Remove and cool.
Combine cheeses and remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl. Fold through spinach, check seasoning and press mixture into pastry base.
Top with another 6 – 8 sheets of lightly buttered filo. Bake in pre-heated oven 50 - 55 minutes.