Aussie chef Bill Granger made a name for himself with these lovely light hot cakes. I've changed his famous recipe around a bit, adding Greek yoghurt to the mix and serving them with fruits in season and maple syrup. Perfect for breakfast, brunch or dessert.
- Prep Time : 15-20 minutes
- Cook Time : 4 -5 minutes
- Yield : 4-6
- soft ricotta - 1 cup, well drained
- Greek yoghurt - 1/3 cup
- caster sugar - 3 -4 tablespoons
- milk - 185ml (3/4 cup)
- free range or organic eggs - 4, separated
- self-raising flour - 1 cup, sifted
- strawberries - 3 per person, sliced
- blood oranges - 2, peeled and cut into segments
- maple syrup
- melted butter
Beat the ricotta, yoghurt, sugar, milk, flour and egg yolks together to make a smooth batter.
In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Fold gently through the batter. Leave in a cool place until ready to use.
Toss the sliced strawberries and blood orange segments together. Add a few banana slices and blueberries, if liked.
Drop the batter onto a hot lightly greased pan or griddle, about 2 tablespoons at a time. Cook for about 2 minutes on each side.
To serve, layer 3 - 4 hot cakes on a plate surrounded by the fruit.
Drizzle with maple syrup and melted butter.