If you're a cauliflower cheese fan, you're going to love this roasted cauliflower version topped with a cheat's white sauce.
Perfect for vegetarians as a main course, or as a side dish to accompany roast lamb, beef or chicken.
- Prep Time : 15 minutes
- Cook Time : 45-50 minutes
- Yield : 4 - 8
- cauliflower - 1, medium-large, base trimmed to sit flat, leaves attached
- cooking salt - approx 2 tablespoons
- olive oil - 1 - 2 tablespoons
- Cheesy Yoghurt Topping
- creamy cottage cheese - 150g
- Greek yoghurt - 100g
- free range or organic egg - 1, beaten with a fork
- mixed grated cheeses (parmesan, mozzarella, cheddar} - 50g, plus more for sprinkling over top
- salt and freshly ground pepper - to taste
- freshly chopped parsley - to garnish
Bring a large pot of water to the boil - the pot needs to be large enough to submerge the cauliflower. When water has come to the boil, add about 1 tablespoon cooking salt per 4 Litres water.
Place cauliflower in pot and cover with a lid. Cook for 10 -15 minutes or until florets have slightly softened.
Remove pot from heat and carefully lift cauliflower out of pot with a slotted spoon. Transfer to a serving dish which snugly fits the cauliflower. Line the dish with baking paper before transferring. Let the cauliflower stand, uncovered, for 10 minutes to steam dry.
Preheat oven to 240C (220C fan-forced).
Drizzle oil over cauliflower and brush over with a pastry brush.
For the Cheesy Topping: combine all the ingredients and stir until smooth. Season well. Spoon evenly over the cauliflower. Scatter with extra grated cheese, if liked. Place dish in preheated oven and bake 30 -40 minutes or until dark brown on top and cauliflower stems are tender when pierced with a skewer or small sharp knife.
Remove from oven and sprinkle with parsley to serve.