Steamy summer days call for light punchy salads. This fresh tangy salad makes a lovely light meal or is a terrific accompaniment to grilled or barbecued fish, prawns, chicken or beef.
- Prep Time : 20 minutes
- Cook Time : 2 minutes
- Yield : 4
- vermicelli noodles - 250g
- carrot - 1, peeled and julienned
- cucumber - 1, halved lengthwise, seeded and julienned
- green onions - 3-4, cut lengthwise and finely sliced
- bean sprouts - 1 cup, topped and tailed
- small red chillies - 2, seeded and finely sliced
- fresh mint - 1 small bunch, leaves picked
- fresh coriander - 1 small bunch, leaves picked
- Nuoc Cham Dressing
- red or white wine vinegar - 2 tablespoons
- fish sauce - 2 tablespoons
- water - 4 tablespoons
- caster sugar - 2 tablespoons
- garlic - 4 cloves, finely chopped
- large red chillies - 4, seeded and sliced
- fresh lemon or lime juice - 2 tablespoonss
Bring a large pan of water to the boil and cook the noodles for two minutes. Drain and rinse thoroughly under cold water. Place in a large mixing bowl and toss together with the remaining ingredients. Serve on a platter or in an attractive bowl.
Nuoc Cham Dressing (you'll need about 125ml):
Best made a day ahead to allow flavours to develop. For a vegetarian option, substitute 1 tablespoon soy sauce for the fish sauce. In a heavy based saucepan warm the vinegar, fish sauce, water, sugar, garlic and chillies. When it is moderately hot, remove from heat and allow to cool. Stir in the lemon juice when cold. Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to a week.